Maria Sole Prevedoni Gorone, Francesco Ballati. Radiologia Pediatrica IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo Pavia. Direttore: dott Federico Zappoli Thyrion.
4 pediatric patients, mean age 4.2 years old (range 3.5 months, 10.9 yo).
At the admission, clinical features were the following:
- Fever (39°) in 2 out 4 patients
- Malaise and loss of appetite in 1/4
- One of the patients was asymptomatic but he was admitted to take care of him since his parents were both hospitalized for Covid-19 pneumonia.
- Only one patient with fever also had moderate lymphopenia.
- LDH was increased in the symptomatic patients.
Normal findings in 3 out of 4 patients (case 1 – 3)
In 1 patient with fever (case 4) a blurred ill-defined consolidation with pleural effusion was seen. The nasal swab revealed only a low viral load. This finding may be considered as the end-stage of the Covid-19 pneumonia, since the patient had symptoms for 1 week before coming to the ED.
None of the patient underwent CT The present case series – although the small sample – demonstrates that children may get SARS-CoV-2 infection, but they are usually asymptomatic or paucisymptomatic. In our experience, and as previously reported, pediatric patients may be hospitalized for preventive reasons.